It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer light problem
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

When I bought my 05 CRD I have the dealership install the factory hitch and lights. Now there is no power to the running lights, stealership wants 180$+ to figure up why it is not working anyone eles have the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

For less than $ 180 you could go to UHAUL and have them put in a totally new trailer wiring harness. Screw the dealer!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:41 pm 
LOST Addict

And for about $5 you can buy a multimeter and fix it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you have a EVIC :?: If not you need a second cable from the right rear quarter panel to the dash and battery :lol: Common situation, there's a relay in the trailer harness that powers the running lights. It needs power from the battery to turn on the lights :D

EDIT: :!:
Before you ask what does a EVIC have to do with trailer lights it's because when you have the harness for the evic the wiring is there to supply the trailer harness also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Joe Romas wrote:
Before you ask what does a EVIC have to do with trailer lights it's because when you have the harness for the evic the wiring is there to supply the trailer harness also.

But it isn't true the other way around, if you got the wires for the hitch you don't necessarily have any harness for an EVIC - I found out the hard way :lol:

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Uffe wrote:
Joe Romas wrote:

But it isn't true the other way around, if you got the wires for the hitch you don't necessarily have any harness for an EVIC - I found out the hard way :lol:

Uffe.
Trying to decifier the FSM on trailer wiring I learned at least one thing and that's that EXPORT models are wired different in that area. I suspect and will find out when I put a in tank lift pump on that the wires to complete the trailer harness install are under the left rear seat. The two wires needed for the trailer harness are in the front of my KJ but disappear into never never land :lol: It's also possible since the US CRD's were a limited number for a marketing test that I should be looking at the EXPORT wiring diagram :shock:

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did find that ther is no power to the relay from there the wires disapper. the dealer suggest that I start at the fuse pannel. guess I going to have fun chasing it. thanks for the help.

Post subject: Trailer Wiring!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

Okay--Already went through this.

If you don't care about trailer brakes, or the 12V + you can fix it very easily. If not, you need to run wires from the battery back.

There is a Rear fog light wire back on the harness. All you need to do is switch the pin, and you have a fused 12V going as your power for your taillights.. You then need to jumper the place for the relay on the other side of the fuse panel (on the interior above where your feet sit.

It is a quick fix because the wire is already there and its not being used plus it has a fuse on the fuse panel already.. AFter hours of looking at a wiring diagram I finally just did this. It now works good. I'm not worried about trailer brakes, or 12V because I just pull my little motorcycle trailer. I have a cummins to pull the big trailer.

1974 W200 Repower with 4BT 4x4 (The Rattler)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (The White Whiz)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bluefish wrote:
I did find that ther is no power to the relay from there the wires disapper. the dealer suggest that I start at the fuse pannel. guess I going to have fun chasing it. thanks for the help.

That is where the second harness fits in. Here's a brief clip of what's going on with the second harness and it does go to the battery. The wire that has a fuse in the Power distribution box in the engine bay and enters the direwall on the big plug MIGHT be going to the same plug that has the lift pump under the left rear seat. If you want brakes and a provisions for a trailer battery you'll need this or something like it. If you just want light for a small trailer you might want to do what cxturboboost suggests :lol:

This is the main harness for the round seven hookup. 82207248 Trailer Tow Wiring Harness Kit, with 7-way round connector, plugs directly into the vehicle wiring, for vehicles without overhead console, also order PN 82207620 below. Now is when I pray that you have an overhead console because life is easier for you! As mentioned in the product description if you don't have the overhead console you also need to order the supplemental harness PN 82207620, like I did.

Post subject: Overhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 am 
LOST Member

My jeep is a limited with the factory overhead. I still didn't have the wires.......

Pete

1974 W200 Repower with 4BT 4x4 (The Rattler)
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (The White Whiz)

Post subject: Re: Overhead
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cxturboboost wrote:
My jeep is a limited with the factory overhead. I still didn't have the wires.......

Pete

Just like other things on our 05 and 06 CRD's the wiring seems to be a work in progress :lol: